Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ko Lanta Snorkel Trip

Day 67

     We were up at 7:45 and hit the restaurant for a quick bite before we left. We were a little late because the food took a while and so we hustled to the shuttle and speed away. Got to the dock and got on a speed boat. There were 4 other passengers, 4 crew members plus the six in our crew making 14 people. We drove out through beautiful uninhabited islands covered in lush greenery. The water was sparkling blue even with partially cloudy sky's.



We stopped along the canal where some wild monkeys were hanging out and fed them banana's. It was interesting to watch them take the bananas and wash them off in the water before they at them.



 We went out to a small island, dropped anchor  and all went snorkeling for about an hour. The greens, browns and whites of the coral with teams of fish swimming all around was a sight to behold. Chris had his underwater camera and we had fun taking pictures underwater.


 

     Afterwards hopped back on the boat and went to see the emerald cave. It was completely dark inside the cave with only our guides tiny and dull flashlight to lead the way. We all put life jackets on and swam through the cave for about 300 feet into a gorgeous blue lagoon. The cliffs were 200 feet high all around with a small sandy beach hiding below. We read how this cave was used in the past by pirates to hide their gold and treasure. If I was a pirate this would be a ideal place to hide my booty.




     Got back on the boat and headed to another island and had lunch.  Laid out on the beach after lunch with our Sweedish crew and Marium and I walked to beach picking sea shells.

     When we got to the island I took off on my own on a random trail into the jungle to see what I could find. I had my ipod speakers in my back pack and listened to some mellow Bob Marley jams and as I trekked through the jungle. I was feeling really good about life and everything around me. I had no shoes on, and the trail turned into volcanic rock which slowed my pace until I came to a pristine bay with soft sand. I hiked down onto the beach and took a swim  by myself enjoying the scenery.



     Back on the boat for a bit to another snorkel spot that was the best of the day. There were hundreds of fish all around us and the boat captain started throwing rice in the water right around us and the fish went nuts.We were surrounded and astounded by ammount of fish around us, you could barely see because there were so many.



     When we got back to the dock a truck picked us up and took us to the hotel where we all swam in the pool messing around and talking about our plans for the night. We all crashed out for a couple hours and got up for dinner around 9. It was a nightmare trying to order our food because the staff spoke very little english and was clueless even about their own menu. Mafid and his brother wanted to stay around the hotel but Mariam wanted to go out into town so Ellen, Chris and I joined her and we got a cab. We did not where we going but on our first stop we found a local Thai concert along the beach.



Walked down the beach to a little bar where we got buckets. The bar was very slow but enjoyed our conversation with a local guy who owned the bar.


No comments:

Post a Comment