Monday, February 15, 2010

Koh Samui

DAY 75

     We got off the boat in the morning and got in Tuk Tuks to find ourselves accommodation. We were not sure where we were going but the lonely planet said that Lami beach south of Chawang beach was where we might find cheap accommodation. Some German girls from the boat came with us to look for a hotel. They were not used to the ghetto backpacker style that we were accustomed to and were a little taken back at the rooms that we found actually quite nice. The rooms for us were a huge step up from the Ton Sai monkey infested jungle bungalows. They had TVs a stereo a DVD player, hot water maker, two double beds, a fridge and were very spacious. We took showers to clean up after our all night journey and had a quick nap then check out the beach.

 
 

     Chris had decided to go get checked out at the hospital today around noon, so I left him at the room and went for food with the girls.

      Almost positive I had some bad sickness I rented a scooter and rode into the main town to find a hospital and see a real doctor to figure this out once and for all. I arrived at the Thai International Hospital and told the nurse my symptoms and they immediately gave me a make shift room and put me on a IV drip saying I was suffering from severe dehydration. They also took blood sampled to get tested in the lab. As I waited there for a real room to be ready three guys my age came in one with a badly broken leg from a scooter accident on another island. I talked with the injured guy who was very bloody and bruised up but still smiling. This made me not feel so bad.
     My room was ready and they wheeled me in, I felt like a dying patient with all the doctors and nurses around me it was a weird feeling. The room was nice and I got the nurse to get me a stack of bootleg Family Guy DVD's to watch. With the IV re-hydrating me I was feeling better already.
     After all the tests I was negative for all diseases and my organ functions were all fine so it was just a case of heat exhaustion which was a relief.

     After we had eaten we were walking back toward our hotel when the girls decided to stop at a shop to get themselves some towels. The lady working at the shop said 500 baht which is $15 per towel. I helped bargain down to 300 for each towel which for Thailand is still high. The German girls didn't really understand the transfer rate yet so I told them to ask 500 for both which is normal when bargaining. All of a sudden the lady became  infuriated. She freaked out and told us to leave the store. We left but as we did she said "fuck you, no have happy new year, stupid," and whatever else in Thai that I couldn't understand. I was surprised at first because I was respectful the whole time. So I said I was sorry as we exited the store but she was still seriously pissed.
       As we walked away she swung one of the towels at me. I dodged her and we headed down the road but she followed us yelling. She took off her sandals and threw them at me just barely missing me. The second time she picked them up to throw them again I had had enough and turned back to her saying "stop" in a loud voice. She retreated when I said this but when I turned around and continued to walk away, she threw her sandal at me one last time. It flew by my head and the second hit me in the back. This really pissed me off. I turned around picked up her sandal as she ran away to hide in the store and I hucked it onto a nearby roof. This shut her up and took away her ammunition. As I  walked off I was feeling totally shocked at how ridiculous the whole situation was. The German girls were very confused as well and asked what I had done to the lady for her to act that way. I told them I had done normal bargaining and had no idea why she acted so crazy.
     After that episode we stopped by a 711 and got snacks. I got a few Chang beers to put in the fridge in our room for later. When I came back to the room and I laid down for a bit listening to my music. Chris had left at 12:00 for the hospital today and I was beginning to worry about him once it got dark and he was still not back. By 9 I was fully stressing that something could be terribly wrong and checked the net because I knew if he needed to contact me it would be by email or facebook. I had a new messages from him in my inbox and it said he was staying over night at the hospital and waiting for the test results. 
       At this point I was really worried about him but knew that if he wanted me to come to the hospital to see him he would have said so. It was a bit stressful to know he was in the hospital overnight all alone. So the girls and I went out to check out the town and keep my mind off of it. We had a few drinks and just cruised around checking out the area. We didn't stay out long because I was not feeling the vibe and still worrying about Chris. We returned to the room and hung out on our deck. We finished the night there listening to music and eating top ramen noodels.

No comments:

Post a Comment