Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Koh Toa Dirt Biking & Last Night In Hat Rin

Day 78

    I had seen some sweet dirt bikes for rent the day before so I got up early and got one from a guy on the side of the street for 300 baht and took off not knowing where I was going, but on a mission to find some jungle trails to rip around. The bike was a 2009 KLX140 so it was quite small but actually had some good power and its size made it much more manageable on tight trails. The first dirt road I saw I zipped up with a huge smile on my face just happy to be riding a dirt bike again since it had been so long. The road gradually narrowed until I was off in the jungle on a single track trail just loving life.

 
 

 Trails splintered off in every direction and I intended to hit every one of them. Came to the top of the mountain which overlooked the island and stopped to admire the view.



     Some of the trails became quite technical and I got into some pretty hectic situations more then once. At one point the trail got so washed out and steep I knew if I went down there was no way I could go back. I stopped and contemplated the situation and walked down the section planning my line. Whats an adventure without a little unknown so I took off sliding down the slippery hill pretty out of control and barely avoided falling off the side into the washout. 


Soon the trail mellowed out and I found a random hammock in some tree's so I stopped and chilled there for a good amount of time just resting.

 
  
 

     Being almost in a euphoria from being able to ride in such a beautiful and differnt enviornment I dident even think about my gas situation until the bike started sputtering and losing power until it died in the middle of no where. Oh great the nearest gas was probably an hour hike so I got off and started walking until I came across a seemingly abondoned rock quarry with old heavy equipment in delapatated conditions. I found some old irrigation tubing on the ground along with a empty coke bottle and stuck the tube into a tractor hoping to be able to syphon enough gas to get me back to town. To my luck there was gas which inevitably got all in my mouth before I transfered it to the coke bottle. Gas here is red for some reason which is the same color as farm diesel back home so I was not 100% sure it was even petrol. I walked back to the bike and poured it into the tank and the bike fired right up, back in action!

     Took another bulldozer "road" to the other side of the island and came to an amazing bay with little bungalows strewn about the beach. This place was seriously out of the way and would be a great place to stay and just get away from it all with your girlfriend or something.


Back into the mountains again taking every trail I saw, some also getting quite hard but having a ton of fun. 


      I somehow ended up back on the main paved road and took it into town and to the south of the island where I came across a big psy-trance rave party in the mountains. I stopped and walked in and was pretty taken back by the scene. It was all decorated in psycodelic colors and there was a DJ spinning extremely loud techno music with strange looking people drugged out of their minds dancing around some passed out face first in the dirt. It reminded me alot of Reggae On The River Festival back home in California but in the jungle. I was obviously the only person not on drugs there and seemed to stick out quite a bit getting weird looks from everyone as I walked around just laughing at the whole situation.


 I stayed about an hour and then got back on the bike and down to a very small beach where I had a beer and took a short nap in the hammock.
      
     I had been to every part of the island except one bay so I rallyed over there and came to a very fancy resort which I walked around for a bit. It was all built into the stone cliffs and looked like an amazing place to stay, to bad it was $400 a night! 

     Went down to another random beach and saw some locals playing soccor and playing the drums so I hung out with them for a bit. 


      As I was on my way back to my room I heard some very loud Thai music coming from a hut so I rode by and there was a family of local Thai's singing Kareoke on the porch of their house. As I rode by they started yelling and motioning for me to come over and sing. I turned around and was greeted with a beer and lots of smiles and hand shakes. No one really spoke any english but they were having a ball of a time so I sat down with them tried to communicate with semi sucess. They were all very friendly and introduced me to all their friends and family as they sang into the microphone hooked up to a ghetto stereo system and a black and white TV. 


       They kept giving me beer after beer and then it turned into Thai whiskey shots and before I knew it I was pretty drunk and freestyling into the mic over Thai music with everyone clapping and playing make shift instraments. Ive got it all on video but its pretty embarassing and will never see the light of day ;)
     Dont know how long I was there but it must of been pretty late by the time I decided it was time for me to go to bed. I stood up and could barely even walk strait. There was no way I was going to ride my dirt bike home without disaster so I ended up spending the night on the porch of their hut which actually was not half bad haha. Quite the evening and well the whole day was amazing, one of the best so far.



     Didn't really do much at all today because I was so worn out from the Full Moon Party. I got some food hung out on the beach and swam in the ocean.


The restaurant had the movie Iron Man on so I watched it lounging and relaxing. then showered. We all went out to Had Rin again for dinner and drinks. It was strange to see the beach without thousands of people on it but to my surprise there were still a lot of people out tonight. We had some rum buckets and danced for a while on the beach having a good time.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! Look at all those bubbles!!!! :) I want millions of bubbles!!!

    ReplyDelete